This year the fashion trend shows all men with beard and moustaches, contrary to some research that prefers men to be clean shaven. It seems that this year, the more traditional 60’s sideburns, full beards or rugged look, have been replaced by the ‘Selvedge look’. The fashion industry tends to prefer the macho look to the super clean look but we always need to keep in mind that there are certain rules to follow. The beard should be tidy and well kept, so please no exaggerations and no looks to hide facial features. In ancient Greece the beard was a sign of virility, which over time has become synonymous with wisdom, going on to characterize the wisdom of philosophers and thinkers. As Wikipedia says “in the Fourteenth Century in Italy, the beard was carried exclusively by men of law and the elders, only two centuries after it came back in fashion, and in the Seventeenth Century beards and moustaches were curled with hot irons and were anointed and perfumed with cedar oil and jasmine.”
Beards and moustaches can be categorised as follows: which you can bee seen in the photo illustration
1. Short Beard: a beard of two days, also known as “5 ‘o clock shadow” this seems to be a woman’s preference. It is short and does not require special attention, since it is uniform and only requires you to check the length.
2. Moustache: moustache that are often seen in adverts or on graphics can be thin (in pencil) or full (decidedly less trendy). They do not look good on everyone, but above all, care and attention is required so as not to create a walrus-like effect
3. Goatee beard: grows on the chin and can be different lengths and shapes (tip or simply not shaved), loved by a younger audience and can often be used for anti-stress as it can constantly be stroked with the hand. With a goatee it is important that it is not neglected.
4. Van Dyke: moustache and goatee that have adopted the name of the famous painter, it is a goatee bear but also with a moustached that covers the upper lip. Not to be confused, as often happens, with just a goatee, which only covers the chin.
5. Sideburns: Do not have them unless you are going to a 70’s themed party or for on a fashion shoot
6. Friendly Muttonchops: the same as sideburns
7. Moustache brush: they have been favoured for the dandy feel. They are not easy to carry, especially for their particular cut, if you are not in line with this retro style moustache I would not recommend choosing it
8. Full beard does not mean uncultured. Also those who normally have one take good care of it. No to excessive lengths like Santa Claus. Don’t let it grow without adjusting the length. Please take care as to how it fills your face , if you have empty areas or little porkchops, you should avoid it, you would look like a wolf without hair. Definitely not sexy.